Get Active on Campus – Part 1!

When I first transferred to Farmingdale I was a resident student.  I was sharing a dorm room with my best friend from high school and it was important for us to find some things to do on campus. We were both really into health, fitness, and nutrition and were really exploring it at the time. When she stumbled upon this awesome part of campus recreation we found exactly what we needed. It took us a little time to find so, I hope that with this blog I can help direct you to something that you would really enjoy!

carissa

Our Campus Recreation Department is centered in Roosevelt Hall. They offer students a variety of activities that encourage health and fitness, as well as an opportunity to meet fellow students. There are intramural sports teams like flag football, indoor/outdoor soccer, volleyball, basketball, ultimate Frisbee, and more! They also provide off campus events to some of the most popular major league sports games. In the past, students have gone to games at Yankee Stadium and the Barclay’s Center for cheap prices like $20 a trip. My personal favorites are the many exercise classes they offer. I have gone to Zumba and yoga classes many times for free! Below is a consistent weekly schedule of the classes they offer…

carissa2

You can also find this schedule hanging around Roosevelt Hall where all of the fitness classes are held.

I have had great experiences attending yoga through Campus Recreation. Angela is the licensed Yoga instructor who teaches Beginner and Power yoga. She makes every student feel comfortable whether they’re new or have been with her throughout semesters. She wants you to learn and progress. She shapes you for the yoga world outside of her class. Angela is a great instructor. I recommend anyone who is interested in learning yoga basics to start your journey in her class!

Now, you would think the best part of it all would be that fitness and intramural activities are 100% FREE, but actually it goes further than that. Each time you attend an exercise class you receive a raffle ticket giving you a chance to win a $100 visa gift card every month. I can attest to this because I actually won this gift card during my first semester at Farmingdale! You also have a chance to win a $25 gift card each month, along with picture recognition, for attending the most classes.

If Intramural sports is what interests you there are even more opportunities to win free stuff!

For more information you can visit IMLEAGUES.COM and sign up through Farmingdale state college. This is where you can join sports teams, communicate through message boards and sign up to receive email updates. You can also do all of this and stay up to date with live scoring on campus recreation’s app- REC IT.  There is REC IT FITNESS as well for fitness classes. If you download the app and sign up with your school email you can win even more FREE STUFF.

carissa3

I hope reading this blog motivates you to get active on campus! Utilize these resources while you have them and meet fellow students who enjoy all the same things!