Journey of a Pre-Med: Summer Adventures

CSTEP Grad School Tour
CSTEP Grad School Tour

Embrace the Race

Following the path to become a master of healing is not an easy one. However, it can be quite fun. As an author to your own story, it is up to you to discover what resources are available to you. Transitioning throughout your college career is the most amazing part. Others around you are more aware of the apparent changes that happen to many students. Challenges and difficulties are part of the roller coaster. These are things that are to be welcomed with open arms. Situations in which your reaction is conditioned through the experiences becomes a necessity in the professional field.

Becoming a medical doctor is not an easy path as explained above. Multiple hurdles make the race enjoyable. If anything was easy people wouldn’t have the motivation to accomplish any great feat.

Research

One of these feats that medical schools recommend is research. Although unnecessary to apply to medical school, it is a great opportunity that should be taken seriously. Modern medicine has evolved through the dedication of scientists that have contributed their time to the greater good. Participation brings two aspects that every young adult aspiring to become a doctor should have. Both appreciation for the art and being a part of the team to combine critical thinking skills along with differing backgrounds. Research projects force you to obtain and utilize many important skills. Contribution through a team setting enables outlooks on a diagnosis to be unbiased while gaining interpersonal skills. Understanding and communicating allows for an even ground to be placed between a patient and doctor.

There are many different research programs that have a variety of deadlines. Medical Schools and Universities host these programs inviting young adults to complete them. Groups ranging from high school students to college graduate; there is a fit for all. Programs requesting high school students typical involve academic enrichment. While those targeting college graduates want to provide an environment for applications of their curriculum. Details for these typically have the same benefits other than academic. They range from but are not limited to: stipend, housing and transportation. For a student such as me who lives 700 miles away from home this is a great alternative option. More importantly a way to turn a summer into a productive and positive one. Deadlines also vary but typically range from January 15th to March 15th, with many of the reputable programs being closer to January. Applications requirements are all similar with a personal statement, 1-2 recommendations, an official transcript and the supplied application. Recommendations are the toughest to complete as it requires a professor’s time. Due to the nature of school to be chaotic, be sure to ask the professor in advance to ensure deadlines are met.
Care Time

Volunteering is another additional component that should be completed by anyone hoping to enter the medical profession. Becoming a medical doctor is not an option to be trifled with. Patient contact time allows for customer service and experience as an outsider to be gained. Lack of people skills reduces the amount of people who choose you as their health care provider. Hospitals embrace students to volunteer as they are a helping hand to the already lacking staff that many contain. Compassion and basic understand of how a clinic runs can help decide if you are on the right path.

Summer 2015

Out of the recent summers that I have as a college student, last summer would be the most exhilarating and tiring one amongst them all. Preparation for this time came a few months earlier. At first, I was going to transfer, as many college students would say, “I’ll transfer after my sophomore year.” In my case, I applied to transfer and got accepted to University of Georgia and University at Albany twice. Even with being accepted, I decided not to attend. Both of these schools were part of a dream once had. Reality of what I was able to become a part of had sunken in and deterred me from a choice that was preferred. Realization of tackling multiple jobs over the next months left an obvious option. By May 2015, there was planning for my Vice-Presidency of the Pre-Health Professions Club, Summer Chemistry department job and an assistant to residence life for the summer. I have never had a summer go at the speed of light as it did.

These experiences have shaped me to become a more independent person. Through expanding through residence life, and completed every job available to a student up until now my skill set expanded. Being a maintenance and customer care specialist I have spoken to individuals who age vary. Confidence is now an important part of my character that won’t be lost and will be used towards my future endeavors and hopeful contribution to this summer’s research.