More Farmingdale State College History

Welcome back my fabulous readers!

How have you been? Previously, I had shown you a milk carton that I found in the Alumni relations office and told you what I found out about it. Well, this week I have another important part of United States history that is located on our campus. We have The Memorial Oak located between Whitman Hall and Thompson Hall.

The Memorial Oak planting
The Memorial Oak being planted in 1921

The Memorial Oak was planted there on June 4, 1921 to honor those who fought in WWI. In Alumni Relations office, I found a picture of when it was planted in 1921 and a picture of it currently in 2015. The one piece of information that I found interesting was that soils from every state, and all Allied Nations were collected to plant the tree sapling in.

The Memorial Oak in 2015
The Memorial Oak as of today in 2015

According to Halsey B. Knapp, “The soil came from Serbia, Russia, France, Belgium, Great Britain, Montenegro, Japan, Portugal, Italy, San Marino, Rumania, Greece, Panama, Cuba, Siam, Liberia, China, Brazil, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Haiti, Honduras, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, Jamaica, and every state in the United States, including the territory of Alaska. The soil from France came from under the Triumphal Arch and Pennsylvania’s soil came from the Bloody Angle on the Battlefield of Gettysburg.” All of this information and more can be found here.

Well my dear readers, I hope you find these facts of Farmingdale State College History interesting and informative. I have a conference to attend on Friday April 24th and I will let you know next week what happened at the conference and what my experience was like.

Your historical-finding Rambassador,

Kaitlyn M.