Working Full time and Going to School

Monday morning, alarm goes off, and you feel like you just slept for 5 minutes. A fresh new week, and you’re already looking towards the weekend; well that’s how I feel and you might relate. Many of you are familiar with the “work-school balance”, the ongoing struggle to maintain a healthy balance between both. You might know where I’m going with this, but trust me it will be brief.

Upon graduating high school I got at job working for a Podiatrist, since then I’ve been working and going to school. Through the years I’ve learn to balance this two important thing while also having personal time. Working full time and going to school can be a bit like tug of war. Both areas are important and require attention. There are some obvious advantages, from finishing school quickly to maintaining your current job. For me, it’s that working full time allows me to maintain my job and the salary while also progressing in my studies. Everyone has a different view; some may enjoy their job, or may do it because it involves their degree. If you already didn’t know, just be aware that by choosing to work and study full time, you are signing yourself for some hectic years by bringing twice the demands and twice the responsibilities.

daniel-sanchez-blog-photo

If you’re considering the full time studies and work extravaganza, first see what sorts of conflicts can arise from your courses. Talk with current students who are working while studying for advice. When placed in groups for any class, be honest with your classmates about your schedule, as you might not be able to meet when they can. If you plan on keeping your job it is best advised to speak to your employer before jumping into things; plan ahead.

One of the most important factors that have helped me during these years is the understanding of my employer that I have academic demands that sometimes require sudden changes and occasional days out and the flexibility of my work schedule. If you have a job that offers this, it will help you tremendously, if not, it’s best to speak up, remember no one can’t deny you an education.

Working full time while also studying requires a lot of effort. Putting so much can quickly leave you feeling fatigued, and stressed, so remember to know your limits while also having a game plan on how and when to perform your tasks or studies. It’s important to recall your motivations for taking this approach. In my opinion working full time and going to school is not for everyone, the challenges that come with it are all but inevitable, but if you have the proper help and attitude, anything is possible.