Everything Beautiful Comes to an End

I’m actually sad to say that I’m finally home. It was a very hard process to leave the home I’ve assimilated myself into for four months. It was especially hard to say goodbye to my host mom. She told me I can come any time and stay with her which was extremely nice- I know I always have a place to stay in Costa Rica.

Seeing family and friends has been great, but getting used to my normal life again hasn’t been easy. I still think about my home and host mom, and in Costa Rican friends all time! I’ve definitely become less materialistic as well after living in a poorer country and have grown so much within those four months. It’s hard to not talk about Costa Rica every second to family and friends, but it was such a life changing experience. Oddly, sometimes I start talking in Spanish forgetting that I’m not there!

Of course I won’t miss the sound of cars honking, car alarms going off every second, dogs barking, depending on public transportation, taxi drivers who rip me off, and much more, but Costa Rica definitely has my heart! It makes me happy to think that I am so young and had this incredible experience, and that I have a place to stay, a family, if I ever want to go back- which I most definitely do!

I am even looking into Work Away, a site online that connects hosts and travelers. You can choose from any country and look up opportunities to work in a different country in exchange for housing and meals.

As of the weather change, luckily there wasn’t much! It is so warm here, just a little cooler than a typical day in Costa Rica. I am grateful for that, but soon enough we will be hit with the cold!

I am excited to come back to Farmingdale, though I thought it would be hard after Costa Rica, but I have so many friends and great professors there, so my last semester is going to be a good one. Also, I have so many Dominican friends at Farmingdale and am excited to practice my Spanish with them (though they speak very fast!).

Well, I won’t be able to stop thinking about my study abroad experience for a long time, and hope my stories have influenced your thoughts about study abroad. It is an opportunity so golden and will without a doubt change your life. I am here to answer any questions about study abroad as well!

IMG_2037 See everyone at Farmingdale in the Spring!!

Laura Maneri