All the World has to Offer

The study abroad program here, could not have come at a better time in my life. Just turning 21 and entering into my senior year at Farmingdale definitely deserved a memorable trip. Florence, Italy was the place that I needed to be.

Venturing out of my comfort zone would be an understatement in regards to my 3 week stay in Italy. Traveling to cities such as Rome, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Sienna, Milan, and all through Tuscany, has an unexplainable effect on my outlook on life. Waking up on a Friday morning and saying to myself “Hmm, maybe well take a 4 hour train ride to Rome, go see the Coliseum, maybe stop by the Vatican, walk on the Spanish Steps,…” are not the things we have the luxury of doing here on Long Island. I am so lucky to be able to have visited such an architecturally astounding country, which only drives my passion for architecture and construction.

image1

Back in Florence, living in an apartment with nine strangers seems a lot more intimidating than it actually is. It turns out that these girls became more than just ‘roommates’; they’re lifelong friends. The experience of living in a strange country, opened up my eyes to all that the world has to offer. I’ve learned that there is more to life than waking up, going to school, going to work, sleeping, and repeating. The study abroad program allowed me to become a more independent, and self-sufficient person.

I couldn’t believe how much the effect of living abroad would change my view on life. I want to be able to travel to so many different countries and experience the everyday norms of society. Suddenly, the amazing and fortunate life I live here in NY, isn’t as exciting as it seems to be. So, get out there; explore the world and see what can open your eyes.

Lauren Liegmann

Senior at Farmingdale