Studying Tips

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 1.59.20 PM

Studying in advance is one things is students never want to hear, or do. It is easy to let our jobs, family and friends get in the way of the time that could be spent studying. However, after being on the side of both not properly studying and studying for a test, I am now a strong advocate of studying in advance to properly prepare for my tests. Here are a few ways that I prep for upcoming tests:

1. When I first learn of my test date, schedule out information- for instance, if my test is two weeks in advance and I have four chapters to learn, then I will make sure that I do 2 chapters a week, because otherwise I will forcing four chapters worth of information into one session, how is that even possible!?
2. Flash cards- making flash cards have helped me memorize material that I had no idea I was capable of memorizing. Flash cards are an easy way to write down the material and give yourself a couple times to review it. Flash cards are also easily accessible and transportable so you can bring them on the train, to work and if you have a break in between classes!
3. Studying with a group- studying with a group of classmates will help you all learn material together. A classmate could know some information and material better than you, and you could learn from them. On the other hand, you could probably teach your classmates something you understand better than them. Studying in a group is also a fun way of getting to know your classmates. A win win situation for all involved!
4. Don’t be afraid to ask your professor for help! That is what they are there for. Professors admire students who are willing to learn and want to do the best they can. All professors are open to extra office hours and will do the best they can to prepare you for your test. Utilize their time, you could learn something about the test that you didn’t know!

If you put the effort in, the grades you want will come out!