Studying In Other Countries

Studying in different countries has given me a wide perspective of what “studying” means in different cultures. I lived in South Africa for a year, partaking in a leadership course. During this year, I learned a lot about the South African way of studying. They do not mix studying and free time, at all. When they have to study, they will do nothing else but study. On the other hand, when they have free time, don’t even mention school or studying because that is not what they are focusing on. It gave me a perception to enjoy what I am doing, when I am doing it. Instead of worrying about school and letting it affect you, even during your free time, I learned to just take one thing at a time, and make the best of what I am doing when I am doing it. Studying abroad in London was the complete opposite! London is just like New York City, the size, busy people everywhere, a lot going on.

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Many students who study in London have either a job, internship or something else going on. They often mix their studies and work together. This kind of studying grew my capability to multi-task, and juggle many things at one time. Living in London there is always something to do and see, which meant I had to manage my time wisely and be able to handle multiple things at once. Studying in London helped prepare me for a real life experience because I believe that in the future I might be in a different country where I will have to focus on work but will also want to do other things. I think that I am prepared to do so! I hope to travel somewhere else and get another perspective of how their culture views studying…to be continued