Living Argentina

Casa Rosada, Bs. As.
Casa Rosada, Bs. As.

While stepping foot on American Airlines flight 535 from New York to Buenos Aires, I had little expectations of what my life in Argentina would be like. Having lots of Argentine friends back in the states, I knew there was something special about this country but was never able to decipher what that was. It wasn’t until I arrived that I began to put the puzzle together. It’s been three months and I’m still working on completing that puzzle. These three months quickly taught me to put aside all preconceived notions of what it means to be an Argentine.

I live in Villa María, which is a small city on the southern tip of Córdoba province. During the week I teach English at three different schools: The National University of Villa María (UNVM), the PEUAM (an extension of the university which provides higher education opportunities to senior citizens), and the PUISyM, another extension of the university that provides higher education to individuals interested in studying foreign languages or trade. As a college professor I encourage my students to perfect their English skills while teaching them about American culture—how we live and the different worldviews that exist among our citizens.

Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires

I’m beginning to acquire a deep appreciation of Argentine history, culture, and its present-day challenges. These challenges are multifaceted as they include education, economic inequality, and politics. Like many countries, nothing is ever quite what it seems to be. In conversations, some of my students have expressed their desire to visit the U.S. while others hold tightly to anti-American sentiments with the hope of seeing the collapse of, what they refer to as, “the North American empire.” It is these sentiments that fuel my belief in the necessity of cultural exchanges and continued political engagement.

PEUAM Students
PEUAM Students

As a Fulbright scholar I have numerous opportunities to engage with individuals who have never met an American citizen, yet are hostile towards the U.S. I’ve had the distinct privilege of challenging some of their preconceived notions of what it means to be an American. My willingness to understand the Argentine worldview and my background as a Latino American serve as strengths in achieving that end.

Through biweekly blog entries, I hope to create a bridge between individuals from Argentina and those back at home. The objective is to reflect on current realities that have implications for today’s generation and tomorrow’s leaders—both in the U.S. and in Argentina. ¡Vamos, Che!