Millennials think Libertarian

cato-institute-event-podcast-f198887Millennials are a generation ready to change the social norms, a generation ready to make a difference and live for a greater purpose. According to the Director of Students for Liberty, Solane Frost says, “After the 2008 elections, millennials have shifted their ideas to those of libertarians.” After attending the panel “Why Young People Prize Freedom: Individualism, Charity, and Respective Government,” at Cato Institute, I was able to analyze the Libertarian approach on my generation and their thoughts of the future. Ultimately, Libertarians believe that my generation will positively change the course of history, while challenging former social thoughts and ideologies.

The event held on Monday night, October 14, 2013, at the main offices of Cato, offered attendees the Libertarian opinion, while challenging leaders with the promises millennials will bring to politics and government. The panel served as a conversation starter, to inform those skeptical of libertarian philosophies, while informing on how principles have changed in recent years. It was interesting to listen to the perspective of panelists, while stimulating their views during the Q & A session that followed their discussion. As a young millennial, I was able to Live-Tweet the event, while asking questions that pertain to people of my generation.

This event pertains to my professional career in that, topics of economy, social security, and health care were mentioned. As a young leader, I consider myself among the millennials they spoke of; therefore the topics were very appropriate. I learned that Libertarians believe a government that imposes its beliefs on others just because it can, acts in a form of violence against citizens. I was confronted with views that differed than my own, but later understood that I too cherish libertarian ideals.

CATOAs one of the few millennials in attendance and the only one to ask a question throughout the evening, I inquired on what steps millennials should take. The panelists agreed that a third party would not be formed, and that libertarians would have to be both Democratic and Republican, in order to bring unity to the government. Once the event had ended, I asked Frost if she saw congressional polarization diminishing in the future. She said that polarization will come to an end as millennials seek to find agreements, specifically economical agreements.

I enjoyed the evening, and appreciate my ability to share my concerns with panelists in an educated way. When I initially arrived to Washington, I had very little knowledge on political jargon and talking points. It was exciting to see how I have been able to analyze an array of issues on my own, while drawing conclusions based on my convictions.
photo 1
Before the evening ended I spoke with Cato Senior Fellow, Tom G. Palmer, who believes that my generation will be a responsible one. Palmer says social security will not exist for my generation, and young people will have to plan their retirement well in advance. He recommended that I open a tax-free savings account, and that I invest in stocks, not bonds, in preparation for the future. It was a great evening of discussion, note taking, and exchange of information. I was able to exchange business cards with Frost, and look forward to connecting with her shortly.