Semester in D.C.

IMG_1093There isn’t one road that leads to success, but multiple highways that will take you to your final destination. Upon high school graduation I was rejected admissions to my college of choice; however, four years at Farmingdale State College changed my life. Awaiting a Fulbright scholarship to Argentina, beginning March 2014, I decided to search for an internship opportunity in communications for the fall semester.

IMG_1193After hearing about the Washington Internship Institute (WII) by my professor, Dr. Beverly L. Kahn, I decided to apply. I knew that an internship in D.C. would increase my understanding of American policy, while offering me the opportunity to work in one of the most influential cities in the world.
IMG_1065   As an undergraduate I dreamed about interning in D.C.; however, I thought the occasion to do so had passed. When I arrived to D.C. my father told me, “It looks like your dream of living in D.C. has come true.” Living and working in D.C. is a evidence of what hard work, encouragement, and commitment lead to. None of this would have been possible without the support of my family and dedicated professors.
IMG_1092   While in D.C. I’ll be interning for the Ethnic Media department of the Center for American Progress (CAP). Some of my responsibilities will include writing in Spanish, researching and publishing articles pertaining to immigration policy, culture, and race. At the WII I look forward to gaining a better understanding of American policy and politics through classroom discussions and on the field research  IMG_1100Since my arrival two weeks ago I’ve made some good friends with the students of the WII, visited most of the Smithsonian museums, and meet a couple of young ladies applying for the Foreign Service. I was invited to a barbeque in Upper Arlington with some guys who work in the Capitol, and learned how to cook chicken cutlets. I look forward to obtaining transferable skills, while improving on my writing, reporting and presentation skills. It’s going to be an enriching semester.