Top 7 Memories from Freshman to Senior

adventureland logo 300x110

1. ASAP program summer

ASAP, also known as the TRIO program, is a Student Support Service program that serves first-generation students (students whose parents have not completed a bachelor’s degree), students who are low-income, and students with disabilities. They provide the support you need to stay in school, finish your degree, and (if desired) pursue graduate study. TRIO staff created a two-week summer Bridge Program to assist with the transition of being a high school senior to a college freshman. I was invited to join the program in my freshman year and attended the Summer Bridge.

The Summer Bridge program lasted for two weeks and during the two weeks, you get to live on campus for free. During the two weeks, they offered a variety of school courses that prepared you for when the semester officially starts. They offered movie night, group activities and they even take you on trips to the city for a show. The staff that runs the program care about everyone here, and by the end of Summer Bridge we become a family, and I know I can count on them if I need help in the future.

2. Dorm life as a freshman in Dewey

On-campus, there’s three dorm halls – Dewey, Alumni and Orchard. Dewey is a freshman building and Orchard is for other students. Dewey is a much older building than Orchard, and Dewey does not have air-conditioners. Everyone on each floor shared the bathroom and the cleaning lady cleans the bathroom each morning or night.

On campus you dine at the Campus Center, and you also get $150 in credit on your student ID. Campus dining has many choices to choose from, like pizza, burgers, french fries, and food from a foreign country. Whenever I feel like I want to escape the campus dining food, I go over to the commuter side with my $150 credit.

When your dorm on campus the weekend is pretty boring, especially when you don’t have a car to go around in. That’s how I get into 8-Ball. Lucky for me, my friend knows how to play 8-Ball and she taught me how to. We borrow the equipment from the RA’s office with our school ID. Whenever we have free time we play pool.

3. Adventureland

Every year, Student Activities planned a day at Adventureland that’s right across from the school. The first 200 people get a food voucher and after that everyone gets a free entry. To participate, you have to wear a Farmingdale State College shirt and have an updated school ID. That’s not all, campus activities plans a scavenger hunt in Adventureland. They would hide six pictures around the park, and if you find it you get priczs from Campus activity. The prize gift cards are from Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks, and Farmingdale State College T-shits.

Adventure Land has a variety of rides too. My favorite one is Ladybug ride, which is a mini roller coaster for kids. There’s also a Pirate ride and water rides. I would suggest riding the water ride last, so even if you get soaked you’ll be able to go home and change. Adventureland is a great way to just relax a bit and forget about school even just for a little while.

4. Six Flags

Campus activities used to plan a trip to Six Flags for Fright Fest, for the first 60 students that signed up. They stopped planning this trip two years ago, but it was extremely fun. They would have a bus ready in the morning and take everyone to Six Flags for an entire day. Some students even take their car to the park so they can stay there longer. They provide us a free meal voucher for the park as well, so you don’t have to spend any money at the park.

Once we’re inside the park, we are free to ride any ride we want. The monster for Fright Fest doesn’t come out until six at night. When 6 o’ clock comes, that’s when the fun starts. The monster can’t hurt anyone at the park but they do chase after you and spook you when you least expect it. The makeup of the monster is very realistic. Six Flags created an amazing atmosphere for Halloween. Let me tell you something – I’m a scaredy cat. By the end of the night I have screamed so much that I lost my voice.

5. Fountain Day

Farmingdale held an event for when they turn on the fountain behind the Greenley Library. During the fountain day, Farmingdale offers food from food trucks and the first 20 people get a mini freezer, and the first 200 people there get free food from the food truck. The food truck includes Halal food truck, Thai food and many more. There’s even ice cream as well.

6. Haunted House during Halloween

There’s a haunted house near the school, which is called “Schmitt’s Farm Haunt Farms.” It is located on Pinelawn Road, Melville NY. The haunted house is a great way to pass time, especially when you’re too old to trick or treat. They offered a haunted house and a haunted corn trail. The haunted house lasted around 20 minutes, even when you’re running the entire time.

Even on the line to the haunted house, I was already nervous, especially when we’re the first in line. The couple in front of us told us that the actor in the haunted house is most energetic at the beginning of the night. I hide behind my friend the entire time and screamed in their ear even though I know the actors can’t touch us.

1. Casino Night

Farmingdale plans Casino Night every semester. It’s usually held in the campus ballroom. You start with a certain amount of money as you sign in, and there’s plenty of games in the room which you can play. All the games that you can find in a casino are there. I usually stick with 21- jacks, or at least that is the one game I know how to play. The only reason I know how to play that game is that the croupier or dealer of the 21-jacks taught me how to play when I was there the first time. She gave me tips like don’t “hit” when your number is 16 or higher. At the end of the night, you can exchange all the money you have for lottery tickets and increase your chances to win gift cards from different stores. In the end, I won two gift cards to Wendy’s and Fandango.