What It Feels Like to Be Graduating

graduation cap and diploma

The exciting moment is almost here, graduation! It’s the day I have dreamed of since I started Farmingdale. There are so many emotions going through my mind. I am excited to be graduating. I get to experience working a job for the rest of my life. At the same time, I am nervous. I do not know what the future will have in store for me. Time flew by for me here at Farmingdale.

My experience here has been great! I made many new friends and got to experience living independently. However, I wish I had gotten involved in the college more. If I could turn back time, I would get involved. I have had amazing professors here. Thinking about graduation and leaving my home away from home is saddening to me. I will miss some of my professors and I don’t want to think about leaving the classes I had with them.

Now that graduation is approaching, I have to starting thinking about what I want to do after I finish my education. This could be doing internships that will lead to a job. In my mind, I keep saying “Wow, I can’t believe this is actually happening.”

It is something I do not picture in my head. It is like I am in daydream, but I know this is real life.  This semester has been going so fast and I cannot believe it is almost March! I wish time would slow down so I can cherish what I have left of school.

I am glad that I got involved in Rambassadors for my last year here at Farmingdale. It has helped me grow as a person and learn to be a leader. Leaving the group makes me sad because I just started it and I wish I could continue another year. It is crazy that four years goes fast. It is like I just started as an incoming transfer student. Now it is time to say goodbye. I do not want to leave all my friends but , I know this is part of real world. I have so many fears once I graduate. Will I get a job right away? I am not sure how long this process will take but, I have to start somewhere. It will be long journey but, I know get the job I love.

My experience here was worthwhile and I cannot wait to come back and visit everyone. As my graduation gets closer, I always mention to my friends that I cannot believe I will be leaving soon. My friends always ask me how I feel about graduation and what I want to do. I reply back that I am excited, nervous and sad. I have been in school for 18 years of my life so far. It is what I know so far in my life. I can always get another degree, but this time I will be a graduate, not an undergrad. Moving on in life is hard because I know have to grow up in some way and make a living. I cannot just live at home all of my life.

If I think about it, ever since I was a toddler I went to school. This journey is now ending. I will start a new chapter in my life. As far as a job, I tell my friends I do not know what I want to do yet. I want to find something I love doing and test the waters first. Then I go back and say I have an idea of what I want to do, which is either business administration or something in marketing.

There is only one thing left to do, which is pass all my classes for the final semester. In my head, I am like “I can do this. I made it this far.” At the same time, I already have senioritis just knowing I am done. Sometimes it is hard to focus because I think “I am done. Just hand me the diploma now!” Then I realize I have to work this and that it will not be handed to me until I pass this final semester. As I look through all my memories , I think “Wow, I cannot believe I did this when I first came here.”

I am looking forward to what the future has in store. I can’t wait to keep in contact with my professors and mentors that have helped me accomplish my goal. I can’t wait to come back as an alumna of Farmingdale, to come see my friends, mentors and professors. The journey has not come to end, it is just starting.