Journey of a Pre-Med: Easing the Stress of Applying to Medical School

The journey of preparing for medical school can be a long and arduous one. Tackling multiple different areas to become a well-rounded applicant is one that many do not attempt. Speaking of that, congrats for making it thus far. Whether you have begun to consider a career in medicine or are still exploring your options, reading this blog is one of the first steps. When managing stress, especially stress that is derived from applying, learning about yourself is the first step.

Me and a friend attending the 2016 RA Conference at Stony Brook University

Know Yourself

The process of learning, no matter what is something that is rejoiced by all. Different people have different methods and not every teaching style is for everyone. Finding what is best for you is part of that process. Failure at this sometimes does happen. During my second semester, while I was taking Bio 131 on the first laboratory quiz I ended up with a 66. After getting this grade I immediately knew that it was myself. Self-evaluation always helps more than blaming your professor does not solve anything. For me, changing my studying habits and reviewing the subjects improved my grades to where I ended up with an A in the class. If you let one grade deter you from your goals it will only end in a cascade that goes downhill. Getting caught in the past is not a thing that should stop you from looking forward to the future.

Self-Evaluate and Take Notice

Majority of the programs in the medical field seek towards a holistic approach when reviewing their applicants. For example, medical schools review all parts of your application, grades, personal statement and experiences. These give insight to your type of character. Grades do not equal to a great physician. Those applying with a 4.0 GPA may have always studied and never did anything else. Having a golden personal statement is a great equalizer that can bring a 3.0 GPA student to the level of a 4.0 GPA student.

Next, knowing the program you’re applying to is the second most important thing. Once researching this, you can narrow down your strategies. For classes such as physics and organic chemistry, understanding the learning objectives will allow you to target your trouble areas. Usually this is a class in which students have to complete multiple practice problems to comprehend.

Me and friends on my 21st Birthday

Finding Your Motivation

During the application cycle there are several variables to keep your application competitive. With the application cycle opening on May 1st this date can come very fast. Depending on the school each of them have different score they accept from. Once you figure out where your GPA and MCAT scores lie on the spectrum, you can target those schools. Especially since primary and secondary applications are costly. Most students apply to 15 schools which is less than 15% of the schools out there. Finding the best-fit schools can narrow your scrambling to have your applications submitted. Visiting a school for a tour or admissions session can ease your mind by seeing your goals with your own eyes.

With all of the pressure from applying to medical school, do not forget to miss an essential aspect. Taking breaks allows your body to take a break for a breath. Whether it is a fresh breath of air or volunteering, find something you love doing. For myself, my actual break from studying is working. It allows me to work with others on a personal level and regain energy. This is a way for reassurance that I want to go into the medical field to share experiences with and be the one who makes them exceptional.