Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

Newman Civic Fellow Thanks Parents for Sending Her to College

Angelique Roberson '21
Angelique Roberson '21

Angelique Roberson ’21 is a first-generation African-American/Latina college student, who is excelling at everything she does at FSC and the broader community. She has just been named a Newman Civic Fellow, one of the most prestigious awards in higher education. And she is proud to say her late father was a major inspiration in her choosing to attend college, and becoming a woman of academic distinction.

“My dad passed away, leaving my mother to raise my brothers and me,” Roberson says. “The most important thing that my dad ever wanted for us, was to live a life where we enjoyed what we did, and to find our calling. It is because of my mother and father that I was inspired to go to college.”

Mr. Roberson would be so proud of his daughter, had he lived to see her now: Business Management major with a near-perfect GPA; RAM Scholar; community volunteer (from Habitat for Humanity to cleaning beaches); Social Science Research Institute Social Justice intern; and five-time member of the President’s List. President Nader praised Roberson in his letter of support of her application.

“Angelique’s joy, enthusiasm, and dedication to service advances the culture of leadership and civic engagement that are central to the College’s mission. Indeed, we are fortunate to have Angelique Roberson, a strong student leader and role model of excellence, among our students. The reverberation of her dedicated efforts both on-campus and in the larger community is noticed by all whom she encounters.”

“Being awarded the Newman Civic Fellow 2020-2021 is an incredible honor,” Roberson says. “I believe that I can expand my resources and my opportunities to help make a difference and give back to the community that taught me valuable lessons in life, and other communities like mine. From this, I hope to inspire others to become the best version of themselves, to challenge themselves, exceed expectations and break the status quo.”

Maybe no one at FSC knows Roberson better than Eva Pearson, program director of the Social Science Research Institute, who mentored her through a Social Science Research Institute Social Justice internship last semester.

“Perhaps what is most outstanding about Angelique is her ability to engage with the larger community and facilitate positive change through the lens of  social justice.  As a first-generation college student, the daughter of an immigrant, and a bilingual young woman of color, she challenged many stereotypes, and indeed, she has excelled at any task she endeavored.

“Angelique’s joy, enthusiasm, and dedication to service advances the culture of leadership and civic engagement, which is a significant element of the College’s mission. Indeed, we are fortunate to have Angelique Roberson, a strong student leader and role model of student excellence, among our students.  The reverberation of her dedicated efforts both on campus and in the larger community is noticed by all whom she encounters.”

The Newman Civic Fellowship is a year-long program that recognizes and supports community-committed students who have demonstrated an investment in finding solutions for challenges facing their communities. The Fellowship is named in honor of Frank Newman, one of Campus Compact’s founders.

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
Campus Update About Efforts to Protect You From Coronavirus
Next Article
The People of FSC Battle COVID-19