Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

Entomological Society of America Honors FSC Professor

Dr. Carly Tribull
Dr. Carly Tribull

Dr. Carly Tribull, assistant professor of Biology, has earned a 2020 Early Career Professional Teaching Award from the Entomological Society of America. The awards recognize scientists, educators, and students who have distinguished themselves through their contributions to entomology.

“During the early part of the summer, when I was spending hours a day preparing my courses for the fall, it was a delightful surprise to be notified that I was being nominated for this award from other entomologists that followed my teaching activities,” Dr. Tribull says. “It felt great to be recognized for the hard work I put in, especially when I was in the thick of remote teaching prep work. I’m glad to be part of a professional society that values teaching about insects as well as researching them.”

The award is given to entomologists who received their final degree within the past five years, and have dedicated their time to teaching undergraduate or graduate students about insects and their biology. Dr. Tribull teaches General Entomology, has started the Biology Department’s teaching collection, and taught students entomology research practices through BioScience research mentorships. Research mentorship is a large component of the award.

“For the past two years, I’ve brought FSC undergraduates to our national meeting and have even introduced two alumni to their current graduate school mentors!,” Dr. Tribull says. “I also think I was nominated for the award because of the resources I’ve provided to the entomological community this summer, to address remotely teaching General Entomology, a course that’s traditionally very ‘hands-on.’ I hosted two brainstorming sessions, have made some videos, reviewed at-home microscope options for students, and host an online working group for support and troubleshooting.”

Says Dr. Sarah Gross, chair of the Biology Department: “Dr. Tribull is an incredibly dedicated and hardworking educator, who goes above and beyond to help their students succeed in their courses. From mentoring student research interns, to creating Biology-themed comics to help students learn complicated course content, to providing ‘Biology Boot Camp’ to teach study skills to students enrolled in Biology courses, Dr. Tribull devotes a tremendous amount of energy to fostering students’ success.”

Want to learn about Dr. Tribull’s speciality? Visit Biologycomics.com.

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
Learn About Sustainable Transportation Research at FSC
Next Article
New WiFi Green Zones Around Campus