Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

Engineering Technology Students Inspired by FSC Alum

(L-R) Arthur Corwin, Daniella Lima Smyth, Kervis Bustillo-Castillo, Daniel Palo

Every year a heavy construction industry group called The Moles sponsors a day in which engineering and engineering technology students from throughout the Metro area are invited to visit a major construction site. Farmingdale students have been attending these events for years, and recently visited a job site that will impact thousands of riders of the LIRR: the “Third Track” project.

Students Daniella Lima Smyth and Kervis Bustillo-Castillo, along with Daniel Palo, Instructional Support Technician with the Architecture and Construction Management Department, attended the event, where they talked with project managers; learned about the challenges faced with large-scale jobs; saw cutting-edge technology in action, and more. But what really made the day special was meeting an industry giant, who is also an FSC graduate: Art Corwin’76.

Corwin, president of Railroad Construction Company and a leading figure in the industry, always makes it a point to meet with students from his alma mater. In fact, says Corwin, if not for FSC he wouldn’t be where he is today.

“I always wanted to build, and Farmingdale offered a perfect program for me – Construction Technology. It was both theoretical and practical at the same time. I tell people I didn’t have professors at Farmingdale, I had teachers, and I mean that with the utmost respect. They focused on students learning – not just lecturing to us. I have had a very successful career, and I credit Farmingdale for giving me the foundation to accomplish it.”

Corwin has also been a big Farmingdale booster. The Corwin Family Foundation – sisters Pat and Carol also graduated from FSC – started a $25,000 scholarship fund last year, and more recently Corwin made an additional $25,000 gift.

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
RESC Director Wins Award for Excellence in Technology
Next Article
All Things Greek on "Around the Dale"