Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

FSC Hip Hop Artist Dreaming Bigger

J. Cole and Oluwaseyi Joseph

J. Cole (Back row, 5th from left) and Oluwaseyi Joseph (Front row, fourth from left)

You may recall last fall’s story about FSC’s rising hip hop artist Oluwaseyi Joseph, which was featured on the college homepage and posted on the SUNY blog, “Big Ideas.” When we last met Seyi (his stage name), he was doing gigs in the metro area and preparing to release some new songs.

If you read the story you’ll remember his motto: Dream Big or Why Bother. Well, one of his dreams came true recently, when big-time hip hop artist J. Cole performed on campus. Turns out he is Oluwaseyi’s idol, and Oluwaseyi got to meet him backstage.

“I still haven’t wrapped my mind around the fact that I got to meet my favorite artist,” he says. “At the meet-and-greet I was able to express to him how much he has inspired me.”  And not only did Oluwaseyi get to meet J. Cole, he also was able to hand him his business card – in the hope that Cole would remember him, after Oluwaseyi got a sample of his music into the hands of a member of the J. Cole team.

Oluwaseyi  is hopeful, but also realistic about how competitive the music business can be.  The bottom line: he will continue to Dream Big no matter how great the odds.

“I told J. Cole that whether he liked my music or not, I know our paths will cross again.”

In the meantime, Oluwaseyi continues to hone his craft. He is a featured performer at today’s Ramfest.

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
Faculty Resource Network Publishes Five FSC Articles
Next Article
March with SUNY at NYC Pride