The Sustainable Garden
Products from the Garden
Please join us On Saturday April 13, 2013 at Farmingdale State College, 2350 Broadhollow Road, Farmingdale, NY for our Third Annual Educational Field Day, from 8am to 5pm.
Schedule of Events: (location – Greenhouse Complex)
- 8:00 – 8:30am: Opening Remarks. Michael Veracka, MLA, Assistant Professor and Chairman, Department of Ornamental Horticulture, Farmingdale State College.
- 8:30 – 9:30am: Keynote Speaker Travis Beck will discuss “Hidden Ecosystem Services: Products from the Garden.” Mr. Beck is a landscape architect as well as head gardener for the New York Botanical Garden, and is the author of Principles of Ecological Landscape Design.
- 9:30 – 10:30am: “Creating Landscapes Full of Food and Beauty.” Dr. Ethan Roland of Apple Seed Permaculture (www.appleseedpermaculture.com) in Stone Ridge, NY will give a talk on Permaculture, a design system based upon sustainability.
- 10:30 – 10:45am: Morning Break.
- 10:45 – 11:45am: “Selecting and Saving Local Seeds” by Ken Greene, founder and owner of Hudson Valley Seed Library of Accord, NY (www.seedlibrary.org).
- 11:45am – 12:30pm: Farmingdale State College’s Horticulture Department will present “Sustainable Projects from the Classroom;” Projects include Rain Garden Designs by Jennifer Cappello-Ruggiero, Emily Tinalli and Tom Harty; Rainwater Harvesting by Ryan Connor; Composting Systems by Aryenth Mejia; concurrently, there will be a Garden Tour guided by Dr. Richard Iverson, curator of the Teaching Gardens.
- 12:30 – 1:30pm: Lunch and Music – Farmingdale State College Horticultural student Spencer Bushey’s musical group, Spencer and the Elders, will provide a musical performance during the lunch hour.
- 1:30 – 2:30pm: “Building with Bamboo,” a construction seminar with David Flanagan, garden artisan, and founder of The Bamboo Fencer of Jamaica Plain, MA.
- 2:30 – 2:45pm: Afternoon Break – winners of plant auction to be announced.
- 2:45 – 3:45pm: “Home Grape Growing,” by Alice Wise, a Viticulturist from the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County, NY.
- 3:45 – 4:45pm: – “Making Your Own Compost Tea Brewer,” by Stephen D’Amato of D’Amato Landscaping of Northport, NY.