Tips for Talking to Your Professors

When it comes to talking to our professors, some of us might experience a sinking feeling. It comes from the anxiety of not wanting to be a bother or wondering if the question you’re about the ask is even worth asking. It’s important to remember that as students you are always allowed to talk to your professors and they know that, because if they couldn’t help you with a question who would? However, it is easier said than done and that’s why I’ve decided to share some tips I’ve collected over my years at Farmingdale when it comes to talking to your professors.

1. Remember that your professors were once students.

This is probably the biggest revelation I came to while at Farmingdale because sometimes I actually forgot professors were students. We see them fully educated and organized with their experiences, but don’t see the hard work and struggle that took to get there. They had questions just like we need answers, so remember that when you’re going up to talk to them that they were in your position once too.

1. Remember there really are no stupid questions

I’m sure we’ve all had the thought that “this is definitely a stupid question,” but trust me when I say it isn’t. Professors answer all types of questions every day and usually the same ones each semester, so rest assured that they’ve probably heard yours before and won’t look down on you for asking it.

1. Write your questions down

One of the biggest reasons I don’t ask a question before, during, or after class is because I forget what it was. Writing a question down while studying, working on an assignment, or taking notes can help you feel less anxious when approaching professors for help. It also allows you to wait to ask your ask your question with the professor privately if you happen to be someone who doesn’t like to speak up in class.

1. Email your questions

While talking to professors in person is the best way to get your answers quickly and allow for an open discussion, emailing questions is also a good way to communicate your thoughts. It’s best to put a subject line that tells your professor that you have questions and be descriptive. For example, if you have a question about the exam on Friday you should write your subject line as “Questions about Exam 3 on Friday 10/13.” This also helps if you go to class before the professor has answered your email because you can easily sort the email out and bring it up to the professor in person.

1. Remember that professors are here to help

Sometimes we’re afraid of our professors not because they’re bad people, but because they are in a place of authority. Just because they are in charge of the classroom doesn’t mean they don’t care about a students success. Professors want to help you in and out of the classroom as much as anyone else you get support from. So don’t be afraid of them but instead think of them as someone to look to for guidance.

Looking back on my years at Farmingdale I wish I had learned these tips and thoughts sooner. I will say that my fourth year at Farmingdale has shown me how far I’ve come in terms of talking to professors and approaching them both in person and through email, and it has made a huge difference with my class grades and understanding of the material. Professors are people just like us and want to see their students “become all one is capable of being,” that is our school’s motto after all.