Life as a Freelance Artist

Careers are constantly marked by forks in the road, and digital art is no exception. Whether it’s settling on a niche in the industry, or opting to pursue further education instead of paid work, or figuring out the right step to bolster your creative resume, there are plenty of big questions artists have to ask themselves. One of the toughest choices to make is deciding whether to go freelance or work in a studio. There are many way you can go about this but it also depends on the person in said situation. I asked a few friends how they would handle this situation and this is what they said.

“Well I don’t necessarily want to be a freelance artist, mostly becuase I don’t have the drive to completely support myself on my own as my own business, At least not yet. I would like to work under someone and gain some experience before I’d even consider.” My other friend told me this
“Would because you create your own hours. Would not because lonely and also because you end up constantly working.
Also would because I don’t want to work for someone.” I even asked around at work and got a comment from one of my baristas a Starbucks! “Working as a business, pretty much, is very stressful to do on your own unless you have the drive, I had to make all my own promotion items and I didn’t start to make a living salary for myself until about 6 months of non stop work. Also, since no one takes your job as an artist seriously, it’s hard to get people to commission seriously without them criticizing you about the pay. It’s not for everyone, I’ll say that!”
Art is tough in so many ways. From the fact that it takes years to develop the talent and the under appreciation that the world in general experesses to artists it is a wonder that artists even exist at all. However I’m off topic here so back on topic.
Here are a few ideas.

1. Charge or colab with a music artist to create cover artwork.
  2. Contact businesses to see if they need artwork for promotions and or product placement. ( I know not exactly creative stuff here but everyone needs to eat)
  3. Team up with an animator and see if an animated pic can be created from your work then post on youtube (and other venues) these can become popular. These also can be associated with music visualizers.
  4. Set up a portfolio. Behance is quite popular. (this should be #1)
  5. Set up a YouTube channel, show your creative process and monetize it. Offer art instructions as an example look up draw with Jazz
  6. Showcasing your work is important, but you also need to be actively marketing your services. There are many ways to go about this, but the most effective methods cost money until you’ve developed a client list and a solid reputation. You can rely on free marketing options, but building your client list will take a lot longer, which ironically requires you to spend more money sustaining yourself so there’s almost no escaping that you need money to start and run a sustainable business. I would strongly suggest that you get a full time job while you build your freelance venture. It will reduce most of the stress and risk of starting out.

Running a business means running a business. A business without clients isn’t a business; it’s a hobby.

What you need to do is look at other artists who’ve succeeded where you are currently not succeeding and emulate their marketing (not copy – emulate).

You need to understand; what you offer that others don’t. Why they should want to buy from you. What they look for when they go shopping for an artist like you. What language use they prefer. What approaches they prefer. Only then can you sell your stuff to them. Cold e-mailing every developer on earth without that info will lead to a crushing disappointment.You only get to do what you like for money if you can sell. The only alternative to doing this – is to find someone else to sell for you. So drop the doodling and devote the next month or two to getting that down pat. Then come back to the drawing when people will pay you for it.