What I Learned My Freshman Year of College

Image of students sitting on grass in front of college building with text "First year students".

Most People, especially incoming freshmen students, tend to think of college and its process as a scary ordeal. The transition into college may seem daunting and you might be apprehensive about which college to attend. However, once you make that decision and are comfortable with it, the rest falls into place. College begins to look like a next step in life instead of a scary place.

Collage of words associated with being responsible.

During my freshman year at Farmingdale State College, I learned that some of my worries around college were unnecessary. Not everything about college is stressful as long as you are prepared. One major lesson that I have learned is to give yourself time. Give yourself lots of time to study, time to have fun with friends, and time to relax so that the workload does not feel so stressful.

3 students sitting at table with school work in front of them.
Take advantage of everything the college has to offer. Here at FSC, there are many things offered on campus. For example, the Tutoring Center and the Writing Center. The Tutoring Center has pretty much anything that you can ask for. It provides a variety of free services to FSC students. Services stem from individual to group tutoring sessions that can help to develop better study skills and improve overall academic performance.

Sphere collage of flags from different countries.

College will expose students to many difficult cultures and people. Farmingdale State College takes great pride in diversity of their students through programs like Study Abroad and different locations on campus. One great example of this is Bunche Plaza. Bunche Plaza is an iconic spot on campus with flags of countries representing the cultures of each graduating alumni. You could learn so much about the different cultures here and about the history of the college. There is so much to explore both on and off campus, like malls and restaurants in the surrounding area.

Students sitting in class room taking exam.

Another factor that I found vital to my success as a freshman here was attending class. Depending on your schedule, the struggle to get up and go to class can be tough. However, it’s worth it in the end. Some professors might say that attendance does not play a factor in your grade, but it does by consistently going to class. It shows the professor that you’re serious about your education and can even work in your favor. For many classes, regular attendance can change an A- to an A+.