The College Student Balance: A Guide to Working, Taking Classes, and Still Having Time for Yourself

The first semester of college right out of high school can be truly overwhelming. You’re just now learning how much time you have to devote to your studies and you may be wondering if other areas of your life are going to be affected. When I started college here at Farmingdale, I was an at-home tutor who worked seven hours a week. Into my third semester, I quit my job as a tutor and became a direct support professional. My workload tripled and my free time was almost non-existent. A year later, I am still a DSP but have learned how to balance my school life, work life, and personal life in a way that helps me de-stress and feel like a champion. Now I am here to pass my tips on to you.

Words balance, family, future, career, and life written on piece of paper.FIRST TIP: A calendar is truly your best friend.
Before I dive into this part, I want to share a tip within a tip. Have two calendars, a large one at home and one that you can carry around (a planner more or less). My reason? When you have a large calendar at home you have more room to write plans for days, but a planner only has enough room for generally 2-4 events. A planner is good for the important tasks of the day, like working an 8-4p.m. shift, but a calendar can have more personal moments on it (like maybe a bubble bath between work and your 7p.m. class). While I love phone calendars, I believe you should always have one written or printed out. If you pass a calendar on the wall you’re more likely to stop, look at it, and be reminded of your weekly adventures, verses opening it up only when you need to write something in it or check a date. Having a calendar will also help you manage your time, including traveling time, allowing for less stress and better planning. You can also write down when family events or friend outings are so you can figure out your time and ability to attend

SECOND TIP: Make time for sleep!
Take it from someone who works overnight, sleep is important! Our bodies rely on sleep. It’s time for them to heal. Sleep can also decrease stress and keep your mind clear. When our minds are at ease, we’re better problem solvers. So when your boss calls to tell you that you have to come in at 12:30p.m. for work, but your class ends at 12p.m. and it’s a half an hour drive to your job, you can think about the best way to beat possible traffic. You’re also more positive when you’re well rested, and less likely to be overwhelmed by any schedule change. I’ve worked 11p.m. to 7a.m. shifts before, and then went to class at 8a.m. It’s hard and very tiring, but as soon as I get home, I make sure to plan out a sleep schedule since I don’t always work overnight. A sleep schedule will help you determine whether you’re better off taking a long or short nap. It’ll help you get a good sleep at night, and during the day to work at night. You can also assure there will be no distractions preventing you from sleep if you schedule out your hours for shut-eye.

THIRD TIP: Don’t make any last minute schedule changes unless necessary!
You cannot plan out your whole life, but you can plan out train schedules, gas fill-ups, and lunch breaks! Your day is over and you’re heading home but see your gas tank is lingering on E. It’s best to fill it up right then. You know you have nothing left for the day, so why not just go do it? Work and school are very tiring, and I understand the need for a good rest, but sometimes we have to push ourselves to do one last thing when we can. If you wait to do it on your way to work the next day, you run the risk of any challenge getting in your way. Now you’re late to work and are more stressed than before. When all is done and you’re headed home, just think, “Is there anything I should do to prepare for tomorrow?” It’s a good question that also shows you care about yourself.

FOURTH TIP: Work vs. School: What’s More Important?
This question is very subjective. To someone who has a family, a house, and a car to pay for, they might say work. To someone who does not have many responsibilities to pay for, they might say school. This is why it is important to ask yourself what matters more to you. If you’re a full-time student but need more money, you may want to consider going part-time. There is no shame in knowing what you can handle and preparing for it. When I went full-time at my job, I had to pull back on my classes and really evaluate what I could do. As someone who has a mortgage, I know how important working is. Asking for help from a school counselor or your boss to figure out a schedule that works for you is also a good step. The important thing is that you take care of yourself.

In the end, working and going to school will seem like a lot to handle. We often feel stretched too thin with personal lives filling in the extra space. That’s why it is important to plan out your days and keep yourself in mind. It’s better to spend your life stress-free so you have more time to enjoy yourself. Take care of yourself and good luck. I wish you all the best in these busy times.