My First Year at Farmingdale

My first year at Farmingdale was sure a successful one. I have made so many new friends and have participated in a lot of activities on campus. Yeah, it was scary at first trying to find my way around campus and trying to make new friends. I took the initiative to get involved on campus and I am sure happy I did.

From the Welcome Back BBQ to the Throwback Thursday Party, there is something always going on, on campus. The clubs and activities are what makes Farmingdale stand out. I don’t always get to attend everything on campus because there is always so much going on and I have a part time job but when I do it’s always a great time. The first event I attended as a Farmingdale student was the Welcome Back BBQ, there was lots of food and bouncy houses. There were so many people there I was shocked! It was such a fun atmosphere to be in.  I also was involved in Spirit Day/Rambo’s Revel where we revealed the new mascot and showed our school spirit. There were giveaways and lots of dancing with Rambo.

My first day of classes was a little terrifying because I didn’t know what to expect from my professors. I also didn’t know where I was going. As time passed I got to know my professors and where I was going and going to school became a less stressful. I learned one thing about Farmingdale and that’s is that professors are willing to help you. They also care about your successes and how you are doing. I once had a professor stop in the middle of class and said “How is everyone doing? How is school going?” We went around the class and we individually talked about how our classes were going and how we all were doing in and our professor engaged in conversation with each student. He gave some students advice on how to do better or told them how nice it was that everything was going well for them. To me this, played a big part to having a successful class. The fact that the professor cared made going to his class enjoyable.

If there is any advice I could give to an incoming freshman or incoming transfer student would be to get involved and get to know your professors. I have had such great experiences. Getting involved in various activities and events on campus is important to be successful in college. You make connections with people and get know your fellow students at Farmingdale. You may even make a friend or two. No matter what time of the day whether it be during the day or a night there is always something going on and something to do. Farmingdale offers various clubs and has Greek Life which is very active on campus. Getting to know your professors is also very important because you never know when you may need them one day for a reference, they may even have advice on how and where to get a job after graduation.  It is also crucial to know where the services offered on campus are located. You may never know when you are going to need the Math Learning Center or the Writing Center on campus. I was sure glad I knew where the Math Center was because I used it a lot my first semester at Farmingdale.

I am so happy that I choose Farmingdale. My first year has gone so well, I wish I originally came to Farmingdale right after high school.