Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

Greek Council President Thankful for Air National Guard Duty

Christian Weiler
Christian Weiler

Christian Weiler loves serving, both on and off campus.

Weiler, a 22-year-old junior, is an aviation administration major and incoming president of the Greek Council. He is also a Communications and Navigation Avionics Technician with the New York Air National Guard, and serving in a relief role in Westchester County during the pandemic. He is not a front-line worker; far from it.

“My specific function in the pandemic is to help bring aid to the medical examiners, the funeral homes, and the crematories,” Weiler says. “I went on calls with the medical examiner and was tasked with removing the deceased from the various scenes that we visited.

“It was hard seeing families grieve over their lost loved ones, but I’m thankful for being given the opportunity to help my community in a time of need. It feels great to have played such a crucial role in handling this pandemic.”

In an odd convergence of events, at his FSC orientation in 2016, Weiler heard about the Air National Guard from the mother of another incoming freshman, and decided to investigate. Four years later he is serving in a way he never could have imagined.

Weiler says he’s wanted to be a pilot all his life, and it was FSC’s aviation program that enticed him to enroll.

“I’ve never really liked being told that I have limitations, and nothing ever seemed as limitless as the open air.”

In his first semester, he joined the Tau Iota chapter of Kappa Sigma because, he says, he missed the camaraderie he enjoyed on his high school track team. Soon he was part of a brotherhood – and president of Tau Iota

“I fell in love with the chapter almost immediately, and I’m one of those people that once I put my mind toward something, I give it one-hundred percent of my effort. I guess my brothers saw that in me and decided that I would make for a good fit as a leader.”

Weiler plans to become an Air Force pilot after graduating.

“I’m excited for the future, and looking forward to all the experiences that will come with it.”

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
She Does It All... And It's All First Class
Next Article
Cheers, Balloons, and Broad Smiles at CAR-Mencement