Go to Main NavigationGo to SearchGo to Main ContentGo to Footer Navigation
White wedge
The Campus Times logo
Last updated Tuesday, March 18, 2021 A Publication of the Office of Marketing & Communications

Veteran/FSC Alum Given New House for His Service

Kevin Palacios' new home
Kevin Palacios' new home

FSC alum Kevin Palacios ’16 served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 2008 – 2012. During that time he did two tours in Afghanistan, where he earned the Purple Heart. Little did he know when he came home that his life as a Marine would intersect with a philanthropic organization’s plan to give a retired veteran who had been wounded in combat a brand new house.

That recently happened to Palacios, who was given the house, in Brookhaven, LI, by the Fairway Foundation Inc., a national not-for-profit dedicated to helping and advocating for veterans in need. It was a complete surprise to Palacios, who had no idea he was about to become a homeowner when he attended a seminar for realtors about how they could help the veteran community. At the end of the event came the big reveal, which left Palacios – who was chosen from among two dozen of his peers – speechless and in tears.

“I feel blessed, thankful, grateful, honored, and all the words anyone can imagine,” Palacios said. “But in reality, ever since I got out of the Marines I have been fighting something that there is no explanation for, and receiving the house kind of made me feel like I won a battle against it.”

A single parent, Palacios was especially grateful that he would have something to one day give to his son.

“I won a battle where my son can grow old and have something secure for his future. So this is for my son.”

The Fairway Foundation’s donation was a five-year project of fundraising and recruiting help from the Long Island realty, construction, and interior design community. Led by Steve Probst and Rosemarie Kluepfel – both employees of the Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation, the driving force behind the Foundation – the LI Board of Realtors, Interior Design Society LI chapter, and National Association of the Remodeling Industry NYC/LI, all chipped in time, talent, and money.

“We can all do one thing to make a difference in the lives of veterans,” Probst said. “One person can’t do everything, but you can find one small way to make a difference.”

Palacios enrolled at FSC in 2012, not long after leaving the service, and graduated in 2016 with a degree in sport management. Now, he is back on campus studying Science, Technology and Society, with a long-time goal of becoming a nurse.

“The reason for this is because I love helping, especially when it comes down to life-or-death situations. It gives me a thrill, and it’s also a major passion to help a person in need.”

Palacios credits Eric Farina, director of FSC’s Veterans Services Office, for helping him stay the course during his first year here, when the ex-Marine felt he might not fit in.

“When I enrolled I did not know what to expect, but Eric made it seem very safe, and I felt like this was the place. He made sure I kept myself calm, because I was very nervous about not being accepted. But Eric, not once or twice but many times, kept telling me not to worry, and sure enough I was accepted, and from there on it was history.”

Share by emailShare by email icon Share through FacebookFacebook logo Share through TwitterTwitter logo Share through LinkedInLinkedIn logo Share through PinterestPinterest logo
Previous Article
The Final Four: Chancellor's Award Winners
Next Article
Winter Commencement Valedictorian Unveils Video of Her Steel Pan Music