The article – “Learning by Doing: CSI Comes Alive – Enhancing Information Retention of Forensic Science Students: Incorporating a Simulated Crime Scene Practicum into the College Classroom” – examines whether applied learning experiences such as crime scene simulations benefit the learning process by enhancing knowledge retention.

Dr. Byrne said the crime scenes and trials are important to student success because “learning by doing is fun.”

“Students really enjoy participating in the mock crime scene and mock trial, and as result retain what was learned in class longer. In addition to remembering theories and concepts beyond exam time, their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills are improved from this hands-on experience, which will help them throughout college and ultimately in their professional careers.

“Having the opportunity to publish my research in this respected journal allows other scholars to benefit from my work. It also helps me develop my expertise in the area of applied learning, and showcases the exciting and innovative curriculum the criminal justice department offers to a worldwide audience.”